Classic chicken and black bean enchiladas for those busy weeknights! Easy to assemble with a quick homemade enchilada sauce!
Ben texted one night, asking what we had for dinner when he got home from work. I joked and replied, “Butters’ famous chicken enchiladas”.
He quickly got home from work and sat down at the kitchen counter, ready to judge just how good these “famous enchiladas” actually were.
He took one bite and grew silent. Then kept eating. After about 5 minutes of silence, he put his fork down and said, “Babe, that is the best thing you have ever made.”
I looked at him and said, “Really? More so than the creamy red pepper shells?”
He said, “Yes, 10000x times yet.”
Now do I tell him that this is just one of my weeknight quick fixer-uppers or do I just keep that to myself?
I think I’ll keep it to myself. But even as a quick weeknight meal, these really may just be the best enchiladas ever! Using leftover rotisserie chicken and a quick, homemade enchilada sauce, it legit does not get any better (or quicker).
Plus, the leftovers taste even better the very next day.
Weeknight Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 8 to 10 (8-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
For the enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- To make the enchilada sauce, heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and poblano, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, black beans, cilantro and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- To assemble the enchiladas, lay tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/2-3/4 cups of the chicken mixture in the center. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.
- Place into oven and bake until bubbly, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.
<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/28/weeknight-chicken-enchiladas/">Weeknight Chicken Enchiladas</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/">Damn Delicious</a>.