A classic chicken noodle soup with a Fall twist! With tender chunks of sweet potato, this is pure comfort in a bowl!
Guys, I am always down for chicken noodle soup. Any kind of chicken noodle soup.
But when it comes to Fall, this sweet potato version really knocks it out of the park. It’s an amazing fun twist on a classic chicken noodle soup with everything that we love about the Fall season.
It’s basically Fall in a bowl, especially when you catch one of those tender, melt-in-your-mouth chunks of sweet potato.
Now I am currently in Big Sur with my two boys and all I want is a piping hot bowl of this soup as I sit in front of the fireplace. Except I should tell you that it is 80 degrees F right now so maybe we don’t need the fireplace. Just a giant bowl of this soup with extra crostini, of course.
Sweet Potato Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup uncooked ditalini pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sweet potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in thyme and rosemary until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock, bay leaves and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat and simmer. Cook, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Remove chicken and shred, using two forks; set aside.
- Stir in pasta and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in spinach until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chives, if desired.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.
<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/2018/10/19/sweet-potato-chicken-noodle-soup/">Sweet Potato Chicken Noodle Soup</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/">Damn Delicious</a>.