So creamy, so rich, so hearty and so comforting! The secret to this soup is roasting the mushrooms in garlic and fresh thyme!
Greetings from Chicago!
It’s dipping below 30 degrees F here and aside from the deep dish pizza I crushed last night, I really really need a bowl of this mushroom soup!
It’s the creamiest of all cream soups with a secret ingredient: roasted mushrooms, of course!
Roasting the mushrooms beforehand makes all the difference in the world – creating the most earthy, hearty, perfectly seasoned mushrooms one can ask for.
And if you like your soup more pureed, you can also go the extra mile and use the immersion blender here, but I’m more of a chunky-soup-type gal.
Either way, please have all the crusty bread ready here to sop up all the mushroom goodness!
Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine*
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place mushrooms in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Add olive oil, half of the garlic and 4 sprigs thyme; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine.
- Place into oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring once; let cool before coarsely chopping.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until golden and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock and wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in chicken stock, remaining thyme, and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms; simmer until thickened, about 10-15 additional minutes. Remove from heat; stir in heavy cream.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chives, if desired.
*Additional chicken stock can be used for white wine as a non-alcoholic substitute.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.
<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/2018/12/21/creamy-roasted-mushroom-soup/">Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/">Damn Delicious</a>.