Crumbled Italian sausage, Parmesan, basil, and the most EPIC red pepper cream sauce. It’s irresistible and completely addictive!
I’m currently taking a break from all the soups right now. At least for just a little bit.
But only because I have something else keeping me nice and cozy during this very cold winter.
That’s right. It’s this cream sauce here, but guys, this is not just any kind of cream sauce.
It’s a red pepper cream sauce! Loaded with crumbled Italian sausage (mild or spicy can be used here), plenty of freshly grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves.
And you get to use jarred roasted red peppers, cutting the prep time in half, making this a quick 30-minute meal.
Although I should warn you – this may be requested every single night of the week! We’re already on day 4 here.
Creamy Red Pepper Shells
- 8 ounces medium pasta shells
- 1 (16-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Combine red bell peppers and chicken stock in blender until smooth; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is browned, about 5-7 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in red bell pepper mixture and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and heavy cream until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in Parmesan until melted, about 2 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Serve immediately.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.
<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/08/creamy-red-pepper-shells/">Creamy Red Pepper Shells</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/">Damn Delicious</a>.