Melting-tender beef chunks, perfectly cooked barley, and all the hearty veggies one can ask for. Best of all, it’s freezer-friendly!
I know. I’m sorry, guys. It’s a lot of soup recipes lately, but that’s all I’ve been eating lately!
But hey, if a recipe calls for wine in a cozy, hearty soup with some crusty bread, are we really going to say no?
I didn’t think so.
Plus, we have the most amazing melting-tender beef chunks here with perfectly chewy-nutty barley that soaks up all that stew-y goodness.
The house will smell so good, I bet you can’t wait until the 45 minutes are up when your barley has cooked through. Some peeking is okay, but make sure you keep that lid covered for faster cooking.
And my favorite part is that this is completely freezer-friendly! I made this right before I left for the holidays and coming home to this soup was everything I needed to feel right at home.
That and an extra glass of wine with my soup.
Beef and Barley Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup dry red or white wine
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season steak with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to the stockpot and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 6-8 minutes; set aside.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the stockpot.
- Stir in beef stock, barley, thyme, bay leaf and steak. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Stir in parsley; season with salt and pepper, to taste.*
- Serve immediately.
*TO FREEZE: Let cool completely; portion into plastic freezer bags in individual servings, squeezing out any excess air before sealing. Lay the bags flat in a single layer in the freezer (this will help them freeze quickly). To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge, reheating over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.
<p>The post <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/06/beef-and-barley-stew/">Beef and Barley Stew</a> appeared first on <a rel="nofollow" href="https://damndelicious.net/">Damn Delicious</a>.