You can skip the jarred sauce! This is super quick, easy, fresh and so so good using pantry staples. Just 30 minutes start to finish!
So I know there’s been a shortage of a few things at the stores with this self-quarantine: primarily toilet paper and Purell. But if you try to hit a grocery store, you’ll notice that all the jarred pasta sauces are gone as well!
But don’t worry, guys. I have the quickest, easiest tomato sauce recipe using pantry staples, dried herbs and ground beef. Best of all, this will freeze so beautifully!
So who needs jarred pasta sauce? Nope, not us. We have a fresh, homemade sauce made in minutes. When everyone is ready, boil up your favorite pasta and serve. EASY!
Quick Tomato Sauce
15 minutes15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground beef, onion and celery, and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, oregano and basil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir in red wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until flavors have blended, about 10-15 minutes.*
- Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan and butter until melted, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with desired pasta.
*TO FREEZE: Let cool completely; portion into plastic freezer bags in individual servings, squeezing out any excess air before sealing. Lay the bags flat in a single layer in the freezer (this will help them freeze quickly). To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge, reheating over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.